Skip to content

How can I get sponsorship in Canada?


    If you are looking for the fastest way to come to Canada without having for a long time for your visa, then try getting a sponsor in Canada. It is widely reported that the Canadian immigration authorities place more emphasis on applicants who have someone to sponsor them.

    Not everyone who lives in Canada is qualified to be your sponsor; a sponsor must be a close relative, or employer who is either a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.


    There are so many avenues you can qualify to be sponsored to Canada. You can be sponsored for a visit, permanent immigration, school, or work. However, the sponsor must be at least years and above to qualify.

    A family member or close relative who is residing in Canada can choose to sponsor you to Canada and with that accept full responsibility for your welfare during your time in Canada or at least until you get a job and you can fend for yourself.

    It is considered illegal to sponsor someone who is not a family member. This is a well-thought strategy to help prevent abuse of the system because it has been reported in the past that some mischiefs would sponsor someone just to force them to work illegally to pay off the sponsorship debt.

    Who can be sponsored?

    The relationship that should exist between you and the sponsor should fall under one of the following:

    • Spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner
    • Dependent child
    • Parent
    • Grandparent
    • Sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild under 18 years who is unmarried and whose parents are deceased

    Who is a Spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner?


    Spouses are couples who are married under the same laws or recognized marriage laws if they are not in the same country.  If the couples got married outside Canada, then the marriage must be recognized in the country where it occurred and in Canada as well. You must have a marriage certificate that proves your claim whether it happens in or outside Canada.

    Common-Law Partners

    A common-law partner is someone with whom you have lived for over 12 months and in a committed relationship. So, it is almost similar to a conjugal relationship except you both will have to live together under one roof, and also provide proof of relationship.

    Conjugal Partner

    A conjugal partner is someone you are in a serious relationship with for at least a year but due to some significant reason, you are not living together. So, the status of fiancé or fiancée, boyfriend, or girlfriend does not qualify you to be sponsored unless they meet the requirement of common-law of conjugal relationship.

    Who is a Dependent Child?

    A dependent child could be your own child or the child of the person that you are sponsoring, usually a close relative. A dependent child must not be more than 22 years of age. The dependent must not have a spouse or common-law partner.

    A dependent child should also be dependent on the financial support of a parent because it is expected that at 22, you may not be able to pay your bills or provide for yourself.

    What About Parents and Grandparents?

    You can also sponsor your parents or grandparents to Canada. Before you can do that, you must have enough income plus you will also have;

    The requirement to become a Sponsor

    To qualify as a sponsor to must also meet certain requirements and it is expected that:

    • The sponsor must be 18 years of age;
    • Have a valid passport and travel documents.
    • The sponsor must be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen; and
    • The sponsor cannot be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order (if a permanent resident), or charged with a serious offense.
    • The sponsor must not have failed in the past to pay child support payments
    • The sponsor must not have sponsored previously a spouse or partner who has not yet been a permanent resident for more than 3 years.
    • The sponsor must not have been previously sponsored in the past and still below five years since obtaining a permanent resident.
    • Have failed to pay back immigration loans, or have made late or missed payments
    • Have sponsored a family member in the past and failed to meet the terms

    How Do you Apply for Sponsorship?

    If you have all your documents which include your permanent resident document, and the sponsorship application, then you can proceed to apply on IRCC official website.

    1. First, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor
    2. Visit IRCC official website download and fill the application;
    3. Pay the fees involved for the sponsorship on the IRCC website. This includes processing fees, the right of permanent residence fee, and biometrics fees.
    4. Mail the two applications together to IRCC.

    Fees You Pay for Sponsorship in Canada

    If you are going to be a sponsor then you have accepted full financial responsibility for the person for at least three years. You are also responsible for paying the application fees as well as other related relating to the sponsorship. 

    Family Sponsorship Fees

    Family Member Fees ($CAN) Total Fees/Person ($CAN)
    Spouse, partner, or relative age 22 or older – Sponsorship fee ($75) – Processing fee ($475) – Right of permanent residence fee ($490) $1,040
    Relative under age 22 and not your dependent child – Sponsorship fee ($75) – Processing fee ($75) – Right of permanent residence fee ($490) $640
    Dependent child adopted child, or orphaned relative – Sponsorship fee ($75) – Processing fee ($75) $150

     The parent or grandparent sponsorship

    Parent or grandparent (with the sponsorship fee, principal applicant fee, and right to permanent residence fee) $1050.


    Spouse or common-law partner of your parent or grandparent $1050.

    Dependent children of your parent or grandparent $150.