North York General Hospital
IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care and as one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. North York General Hospital is part of North York Toronto Health Partners, a collaborative partnership with patients, primary care, and community partners, a first- generation Ontario Health Team, driving the development of a locally integrated health system to serve the community. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At North York General, our team is making a world of difference.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to strengthen and promote health protection to patients, staff and members of the public attending in the hospital, prior to the first day of employment with the Hospital, all successful candidates are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination (full vaccination is required) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source. An individual is fully vaccinated if they have provided proof of vaccination in the form of a receipt from COVaxON (the Ministry’s provincial system for COVID-19 vaccination information) and 14 days have elapsed from the final dose. In the event that you are unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected under the Human Rights Code, you may submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if you are exempt from this requirement.
Cleaner, Environmental Services
Your goal in this position is to perform general housekeeping activities within the established guidelines for health and safety, infection control and quality management. You’re able to work independently and as a team, you communicate effectively with colleagues, staff and residents, and provide excellent customer service. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers, learners, patients and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Work safely in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Ministry of Environment Regulation 309 (Biomedical Waste), and other work related regulations
- Have a good understanding of chemical and equipment use, including vacuum cleaners, auto scrubbers, and carpet extractors
- Have the ability to read, write English and follow written instructions
- Be able to walk, stand, reach, kneel and lift weights up to 30 lbs. and push carts on wheels
- Dust, sweep and damp mops floors
- Collect garbage and handle waste
- Replenish supplies
- Strip, disinfect and make discharged beds ready for new admissions
- Move furniture
- Wax, strip floors/heavy cleaning, isolation, etc.
- Clean patient and clinical areas, including carpet and chair wash, etc.
- Set-up including opening and closing the walls, moving chairs and tables
- Grade XII diploma or equivalent
- Certified in Health and Safety – preferred
- Previous cleaning experience with micro fiber system
- Ability to read, write English and follow written instructions
- Ability to communicate with residents and staff
- Good understanding of chemical and equipment use, including vacuum cleaners, auto scrubbers, and carpet extractors
- Ability to work independently or as a team
- Strong customer service skills
- Bilingualism in French/English an Asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Temporary position (up to 11 Months), with 8 hours shifts, days and weekends in the environmental services department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
- Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
- We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
To apply for this job please visit clients.njoyn.com.