Nova Scotia Health Authority
Req ID: 165705
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Northern Zone, Colchester East Hants Health Centre
Department: PHC NZ STRAT-TURNKEY EXPANSION Colch1
Type of Employment: Casual Casual Relief (3% FTE) x 6 position(s)
Status: CUPE Admin Professionals Position
Posting Closing Date: 9-Jan-24
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there’s a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you’ll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
The secretary fulfills a crucial role as the link between doctor/clinician and patient. The secretary’s ability to successfully complete a complex array of administrative and technical tasks relating to the job is critical to providing a high standard of care to our patient population.
In this role the secretary is responsible for:
- Responding to patient inquiries face to face and on the telephone.
- Identifying patient needs at first point of contact and directing them to services as appropriate.
- Assisting patients with the completion of forms and other documents.
- Scheduling and management appointments including office appointments, procedures, group appointments, multi-provider appointments and specialist clinic appointments.
- Using internal messaging, report generating and task management tools within electronic patients record.
- Document management including prioritization of documents for review, preparation of chart copies, faxing, uploading of documents to patient health record, verifying documents and disposition of records.
- Performing all aspects of physician billing including; provincial billing (MSI), third party billing, group billing, non-insured services billing, creating and modify billing bundles and generating billing reports.
- Ordering and distributing medical and office supplies and other equipment, as required.
- Providing clerical support (e.g. agendas and minutes, organizing meetings) for the team as required.
- Participate in quality improvement and patient safety initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the department.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Successful completion of a medical office administration program required
- Minimum of 1 year experience in office administration required
- 1-2 years’ experience in MSI billing processes preferred
- Extensive experience in electronic communication (including but not limited to) Microsoft Word, Access and Outlook required
- Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication and public relations skills required
- Experience with electronic medical records an asset
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary, multi-doctor family practice medical office preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology and Dictaphone transcription preferred
- An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License is required as travel to other sites is required for this role
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please ensure your resume is up-to-date and includes all relevant education, experience, training and certifications.
- Casual relief, no guarantee of hours
- Shifts may include evenings, weekends and holidays
Compensation and Incentives
$21.73 – $24.31 hourly
Once You’ve Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.nshealth.ca.